First Impressions: “Pokemon X/Y” vs. “Pokemon Yellow” 2D or 3D?

Share Button

by Lindo Korchi | staff writer

6/27 update: This article is based on my first impression of the newest Pokemon game vs. the first generation game.

The newest game installment for the Pokemon series is Pokemon: X & Pokemon: Y, for the Nintendo 3DS. However, how does the newest generation game compete with the first generation games of Pokemon – Yellow, Red, and Blue? With over 13 years of Pokemon games released for different hand-held systems, how far has it come? Let’s compare!

It’s true that in X/Y that I have (or seems to be) a bigger house, but for some reason it gives me that ‘Digimon feel’ as in season 4 when the characters were using Digimon throughout the city and fans were starting to feel like the series was dragging on — not a good feeling. The Yellow version house is pretty basic while also allowing me see most of my surroundings without the extra details of trees, sidewalks, dirt, etc. I also feel that Yellow provides me more space and freedom vs the claustrophobic feel that I get from X/Y.

k a (4)

As I would begin a Pokemon battle in X/Y, it’s simply not the same experience. I feel like I’m playing Pokemon Colosseum for the Nintendo Gamecube - which is not what I want to feel when playing a handheld video game. The attacks in X/Y are vivid, as each move is perfectly demonstrated, whether it be a flamethrower, hydro pump, or even a thunder-shock! The problem is that it ruins the fun of 2D gaming. If Pikachu uses thunder-shock against Eevee then I would like it to be quick so I can use my next attack or move on, however, seeing an animated performance for every attack (or miss) gets annoying at times.

Y&Y

Pokemon games have truly evolved and updated over the years, however, I think the concept of 2D and 3D both have a place in the gaming industry, and 3D games for handhelds don’t quite cut it for me. Not only does it destroy the 2D gaming experience, but the graphics are mediocre when compared to 3D games for consoles – which isn’t attracting. I prefer things to be simple, quick, and to the point, instead of every move being animated, having a detailed structured, and simply being 3D – and that’s what 2D gaming doesn’t provide. But, who knows, maybe it’s because I grew up with the Gameboy Color (mine was atomic purple!) playing Pokemon Yellow, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, and Tetris in a 2D experience. Nowadays, games just aren’t the same, unfortunately. At least 2D games are still accessible, but will they exist in the future?

As Nintendo focuses to improve 3D gaming, will 2D games die out in the process? And will Pokemon games continue to be as popular within the next 10 – 15 years? Let us know!

[NOTE: The opinions expressed here are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the SPJA.]

Share Button
------

Tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “First Impressions: “Pokemon X/Y” vs. “Pokemon Yellow” 2D or 3D?”

1. Jay says:

tl;dr version: Author is a nostalgiafag.

2. Jarrad says:

How can you compare the two without actually playing X and Y first? :/

3. Hugo says:

You can’t compare games if you haven’t played one… Stupid article

4. guy says:

“I hate it when things are improved in every possible aspect because then I have to search even harder for things to complain about.”

5. Joe says:

First point you made, about the claustrophobic feel. I mean if the game was as baron and empty as Yellow, it would be a complete waste to have it on the 3DS. Also as far as your quarrel with animations. Turn them off! If you don’t like them and just want to get through them, there has always been an option for that dating back to FireRed/LeafGreen. I don’t think this is a stupid article but too many people only look at Generation 1 and never give anything else a try when in actuality the games have gotten progressively bigger and better and more fun.

6. Weavile says:

Oh lord, another Genwunner. If Nintendo didn’t change the game to 3D, people would complain. If Nintendo changes it to 3D people complain. It’s a conundrum. So what the author is saying is that Nintendo should just create a new 2D adventure EVERY SINGLE TIME? That’s stupid and it prevents innovation, creativity and progression. 3D games DO belong on the 3DS. Look at the wonderful gameplay of Ocarina of Time 3D. Are you saying you wanted that in 2D? All I hear in this article is nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia.

“”Pokemon games have truly evolved and updated over the years, however, I think the concept of 2D and 3D both have a place in the gaming industry, and 3D games for handhelds don’t quite cut it for me. Not only does it destroy the 2D gaming experience, but the graphics are mediocre when compared to 3D games for consoles – which isn’t attracting. I prefer things to be simple, quick, and to the point, instead of every move being animated, having a detailed structured, and simply being 3D – and thats what 2D gaming doesn’t provide. But, who knows, maybe it’s because I grew up with the Gameboy Color (mine was atomic purple!) playing Pokemon Yellow, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, and Tetris in a 2D experience. Nowadays, games just aren’t the same, unfortunately. At least 2D games are still accessible, but will they exist in the future?”"

This just shows you can’t accept newer games. You’re like those grandmas that criticizes everything that isn’t from their time. Now a days, gamers WANT this kind of gameplay. If you want to stay in the 90′s, you’re the minority.

7. pikablu says:

I agree with the author’s first two points about the later generations’ camera being too close and battle rounds being too slow and awkward, but I totally disagree that 3D games don’t work on handheld consoles.

- The Camera and Map
    I prefer a camera that is farther away combined with sprites instead of a really zoomed in camera with 3D models. Look at the screenshot comparison that the author provided. In X/Y the player’s house doesn’t even fit on the screen, while in Yellow you can see the player’s two-story house, the area surrounding it, a nearby fence, and a girl walking nearby.

- Pokemon Colosseum Style Battles
    I really hate this aspect of the newer games. The two battling pokemon just stand on their respective tiny platforms and perform ritualistic dances at each other. It’s really awkward. I would prefer that, while idle, the two pokemon move around the arena on their own, sizing each other up. Then, when a move is entered, the pokemon should immediately perform the move from wherever they are on the arena, with no delay.

- 3D Games Don’t Work on Handhelds
    I regularly emulate Playstation and N64 games on my phone, and they’re a blast. If a game is not simple, direct, and to-the-point, then it’s the designer’s fault, not the fault of 3D graphics. 3D graphics can certainly be simple, direct, and to the point; just look at Star Fox for the SNES.

The later generations are certainly getting awkward and clunky, especially as the graphics get more 3D and detailed while gameplay remains that of a 2D game. But I personally can tolerate that awkwardness (for now, I won’t tolerate it forever), because the newer generations bring a lot of improvements and innovations that outweigh the bad.